Saturday, August 27, 2011

What Makes a Good Reader?

     According to Nabokov the elements that he finds that makes a good reader are, the reader has imagination. The reader should be able to see, hear, and experience the environment the author is portraying. The reader should also have a good memory to retain what has been read, and to have a dictionary nearby for clarification of any words that my be new to them. Finally Nabokov states that artistic ability is important. he also states that all good readers are in truth re-readers. I myself do agree with him in most part, but i would have to add on to his list to clearly define a good reader.
     I think one attribute all readers should have is patients. I find that all too often a reader focuses too much on what is said on the little inside flap synopsis of the book. allowing the few short paragraphs of a description determine whether or not they want to spend time trying a book, or if they do indeed try the book, they give up after only a few pages. I also think that (and this goes against Nabokov) that the ability to use life experiences to relate to a place or character of the book is a helpful tool. I find that when we can do this, not only is the story much more interesting to us, it is much easier to follow and understand as well. At least that's what i find in my personal experience, and I consider myself to be a very good reader.

Here is a link to read more about Vladimir Nabokov

Image Source: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3183.htm    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment