Sunday, December 4, 2011

Reflection

Reflection of English 102
This semester has been one full of challenges. It has also been a time for strengthening in my writing skills. One skill that has been strengthened the most in me has been research. I have not had the opportunity since starting college to do much research for the papers that I have written. I know that good research skills will only serve to help me in my journey through college. I may have not written many research papers as of yet, but I am sure that will all change when I get accepted to the nursing program.
The reading that we all had for English 102 I felt were a bit unrealistic, especially when it came to reading Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. My only saving grace with this one was the fact that I had read the book before, so it was more like a review for me. I am sure that if this had class. That said, the issue of the readings was not my biggest challenge of the class. The toughest thing I have had to face has been my health. From multiple lupus flares, to hospitalization for pneumonia, I feel that I have faces a great deal, and hopefully I will come out with a passing grade in the end.
On a more positive note, I have become a better writer because my outlining skills are stronger and therefore I rely on prewriting much more. This was especially helpful for my Lady Lazarus essay. Using outlining helped me keep my thoughts and layout fluid and organized. Finally I have to address the learning outcomes for the course. Overall I feel that I have met all of the learning outcomes, I do however think that I could improve in a few areas. in learning outcome two, I feel that I still need work. I tend to drown out my voice with excessive citations. On the other hand, I feel that I have excelled at outcome 10. I had never really had to analyze and interpret anything in the past, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had done very well with the poetry analysis.
Overall I have learned much and struggled greatly with English 102. Since the onset of this class I have strived to do my best, and for the most part considering all of my circumstances I feel that I have done just that. This semester I go away with a sense of accomplishment, and an overall fortification of my writing skills.

1 comment: