Sunday, October 9, 2011

Summary of a Critical Response

     For my critical response article I chose to reference from the one written by Mr. Hugh Reginald Haweis. Mr. Haweis wrote his analysis in 1886, a mere 68 years after Mrs. Shelley wrote Frankenstein. I chose this particular article, because Haweis's opinion on Shelley and her book, are very close to my own. In his article Haweis says that he thinks the whole subject of Frankenstein is appalling, but thinks that the scenery Shelly uses is very good. Because of her ideas, and no lack of description, Haweis calls Shelly an Imaginative writer. the issues that he has with Shelley's Frankenstein, is that it lacks in its plot. When Shelly describes the making of (what Haweis calls) the monster, he says that it was hasty. Haweis even goes on to say that Shelly is vague in her writing, but he does say that the images she paints with her words is powerful. the last comment Haweis has for Shell's book, is that even though he sees these errors in her writing, the readers of her book will most likely finish Frankenstein because of the different geographical areas that are used in her book, as well as the picture of human nature she illustrates.
     I have the same opinions about Shelley's Frankenstein. I have always been a fan of books in the Horror genre, and I have read many written by different authors. The one thing that I love in an author is fluidity. Shelly in my opinion did not have much fluidity in Frankenstein. The book, at least when I read it seemed to stumble rather than flow. I also agreed with Haweis about how imaginative Shelley is as a writer. It was always easy for me to visualize the characters, and surroundings that she created. Haweis last analysis was one that I agreed with, and also learned from. This book was one that I had to keep reading. I had to keep turning the pages to see where Shelly would be leading me to next. this was something that I did not realize at first. my realization did not come to me until I read Haweis's article. This is actually why I picked this analysis to use for this assignment. I do not however think that this article will be a good one to use in essay three. I think that this one is too short, and only focuses on Shellye's writing skills. This seems too narrow a view.

Image source: http://wn.com/The_Song_of_the_Lark

To learn more about Haweis click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment